The ever-increasing list of cloud applications and tools serving various use cases being adopted by enterprises is leading to the unimaginable growth in data. This exponential growth in data includes a contribution from every data type be it structured, unstructured, or semi-structured.
As the numbers of data users increase, the amount of data and its type increases which leads to evolution of business processes. All this puts data in a critical bubble for enterprises and managing it becomes even more critical. This is where data management comes into picture and in 2020 people are managing data more often on cloud, so the term “cloud data management.”
What is cloud data management?
Cloud Data Management is a way to manage data across cloud platforms, either with or instead of on-premises storage. To put simply, cloud data management is the implementation of data management platforms, tools, policies, and procedures in the cloud or hybrid environment (mix of both cloud and on-premise).
How cloud data management is luring users to cloud?
Key aspects of cloud data management (platforms, applications, and tools) that attracts users to perform data-based operations in cloud:
- Simple to install and set up with the environment.
- Supports data across different cloud ecosystems enabling users to leverage accordingly.
- Developed with modern technology to use containers and serverless for fast and scalable deployment.
- Delivered as microservices and are API-driven for easy integration into or with users’ applications.
- Easy to manage and automatic upgrades
- Billed based on service utilization.
Data seems to have solved the complex problems that businesses face. There are constant efforts to leverage advanced data operations with the help of cloud. These are the core benefits that cloud data management provides at an advanced level:
- Empowers data with sophisticated security and governance posture that the cloud has to offer.
- Improved analytics through easy integrations and data ingestion.
- Control data quality with the ability to set various parameters offered by cloud-native technologies.
- Easy data discovery, recovery, and enhanced metadata management.
Understand modern cloud data management with a use case
In the past few years, organizations have adopted innovative ways to carry out the operation on data in cloud. This is due to the fact that cloud providers are offering various services, platforms, applications, and tools to manage cloud data. One such use case that came in existence to improve analytics is Cloud Data Warehouse (CDW).
In simple words, a cloud data warehouse is a core element of any data analytics infrastructure within which a cloud provider allocates the space required to store your data and computing power needed to process it. CDW offers enhanced scalability, flexibility, better performance, and much more as compared to traditional data warehouses.
So, the modern cloud data management tools enable you to simplify the tasks associated with CDW such as migrating workloads from the on-premise data warehouse to cloud data warehouse.
To optimize and efficiently run a cloud data warehouse (CDW), you might need to perform various steps including discovering the right data, integrate data across various sources in CDW, ensure the data quality (and maybe many more).
But without a comprehensive set of cloud data management tools, you might not be able to embrace all the benefits of a CDW.
Subscribe to our newsletter to go beyond the traditional concept of cloud technology and understand how you can leverage cloud technologies for your use case.
This article is originally published at https://www.cloudmanagementinsider.com/what-is-modern-cloud-data-management/