Cloud’s first-ever selling point was no ownership that comes with unsaid benefits such as remote access to services via the internet. There is a long list of benefits and reasons why you should adopt cloud. But who would have thought the sole reason for the existence of cloud in the first place, i.e., to remove overhead maintenance cost and easy remote access, would be a key to keep running your business in the present time. New-age companies are already planning to build a business using cloud technologies and legacy companies are strategizing on how to achieve digital transformation to keep running their business.
Accelerate cloud adoption, Now!!
As technology, customer expectations, and competition change with increasing speed, organizations must operate faster and more flexibly, while continuing to protect assets and data from threats. No matter what is your industry, company size, or business goals, it’s likely that migrating workload to the cloud is a priority for your organization in the year ahead. We’ve already seen that many enterprises have almost fully adopted cloud deployment models already while everybody is trying to figure out how and when to do things rightly? So, a significant number of companies yet to modernize their IT infrastructure if they want to address business challenges and respond to new opportunities rapidly. This has generated significant growth in the adoption of hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
Why hybrid and multi-cloud?
According to a 451 Research report, enterprises are rapidly adopting a hybrid cloud approach. The report states that 57% of enterprises are adopting a hybrid cloud approach to enable developers and lines of business to pick the technology that works best for each workload’s specific requirements.
Another report from Rightscale’s “2019 State of the Cloud Report” from Flexera found that enterprises are already using an average of five cloud providers. Clearly, with so many cloud providers already in the market, it is essential to accelerate cloud adoption be it multi-cloud or hybrid cloud.
You might have already been on a cloud journey or might be assessing the options on how to accelerate the cloud adoption right from the start. But before everything, find an answer to the following question.
What drives your business toward cloud?
The majority of the decision-makers hesitated in the past when it came to moving toward cloud deployments. On the other hand, if you look around now many of them are now confident in security and availability capabilities in the cloud. There could be various driving factors towards the cloud and achieving all of them together is still a complex task for all of us.
Strategizing cloud adoption around the business drivers could save your time and helps you stay focused. The most recent move toward hybrid and multi-cloud adoption is due to disaster recovery goals, the desire to avoid lock-in, regulatory standards, and most importantly business continuity.
Find your driving factor then only you can accelerate cloud adoption in the right direction.
6-step approach to accelerate multi-cloud (or hybrid cloud) adoption
1. Avoid long-term roadmaps : The pace of technological change is increasing. Plan your technology use just far enough in advance to get started.
2. Collaborate with everyone: Multi-cloud environments require multiple teams to operate. Align efforts and boost innovation through transparency and inclusion across teams.
3. Divide big projects into smaller tasks: Large, long-term projects can be daunting. Break them down into smaller, more manageable tasks.
4. Iterate rapidly: Fast-moving technologies require constant realignment. Use metrics to continuously reassess and improve your infrastructure and processes.
5. Foster learning: As technology advances, so should your teams’ skills. Create a culture of pairing, mentoring, and communities of practice to keep everyone up to date.
6. Experiment and refine: Innovation requires experimentation. Try new things and learn from successes, failures, and unexpected results
The approach appears to be concise but requires a lot of effort and time. Focus on each step and remember these steps are not fixed, you can customize each step based on your cloud experiences. Customize in terms of in-depth strategy on each step and how much time needs to be dedicated to every step.